Senior DevOps Engineer
- Role Type
- Closing Date
- Company Info
Working here is about being there for our customers; we’re available should the worst happen and we work together to enable social and financial equality across the UK. But it’s also about you –how you develop and what you can achieve. We’ll help your talent thrive in an environment where you’ll be supported to work flexibly and autonomously, sharing in our success and rewarded for a great performance with a generous benefits package.
- Department Info
From HR and Digital teams through to Group Finance, Risk and Corporate Comms – our Group function support our businesses across the UK and abroad. Delivering essential services and activities that have a real impact on our business and our customers lives, we enable our people to do what they do best, contributing to delivering a great customer service, profitability and strategic growth.
- Job Duties
The Senior DevOps will create new and unique web applications and tools, with a focus on the infrastructure and tooling required. Apart from developing enterprise solutions, you will also work on short and fast paced proof of concepts and demo projects, showing off the versatility and functionality of our products to internal stakeholders. In this role, you will be working with and mentoring other engineers/developers to create a range of innovative web products and solutions, balancing user needs against business goals and technology capabilities. Your extensive experience will provide knowledge to the development team across the range of tools and platforms that the team works with and you will be expected to lead in the development of the infrastructure, tools and processes required to develop scalable, performant and secure web applications.
Providing technical leadership across aspects of the technology stack and demonstrate strong problem solving skills
Utilising and championing agile technical practices; TDD, Continuous Integration/Delivery, pair programming, refactoring, emergent design
Introducing Open Source products and tools as appropriate to optimise the delivery timescale and quality of the software product
Applying expert knowledge in design workshops utilising emergent design and architectural principles and patterns to produce well-engineered solutions.
Participate and contribute to all agile ceremonies; planning, estimation, show & tells and retrospectives.
Work with analysts to interpret high level requirements for complex, large scale initiatives and decomposing them into independent stories for consumption by team member
Work in a collaborative, sharing, open, transparent way
Escalating complex challenges, issues and risks as well as proposed mitigating actions
Driving continuous improvement efforts by identifying and championing practical means of reducing time to market while maintaining high quality products
- Skills Required
- A strong understanding of the Linux operating system (preferably Red Hat based).
- An understanding of networking and security.
- Experience in at least one scripting language (bash, python, ruby…).
- Experience with a configuration management tooling (Puppet, Ansible).
- A strong understanding and commercial experience of Infrastructure-as-code patterns and principles.
- An interest in containers and container orchestration.
- A good understanding of CI/CD principles.
- Experience using automated build tools i.e. Jenkins.
- Code quality - hinting/linting.
- Git - branching/merging/pull requests.
- Lean / Agile / Scrum.
- Design Patterns
- Security - OWASP top 10
- Cloud based environments (AWS)
- A supportive, communicative and collaborative approach to working in a team
- An understanding of the different drivers and needs of customers, distributors and partners
Business & Industry
- An understanding of key organisational structures, frameworks and core processes
- An understanding of digital/web development or product delivery
Whatever your role, we reward ability, performance and attitude with a package that looks after all the things that are important to you. Our employees have a wide range of benefits including a generous pension scheme, life assurance, 25 days' holiday (plus one day after two years), private medical insurance, performance related bonuses, a variety of share schemes, discounts at both a huge range of high street stores and our own great products, your hard work will be rewarded when you join us.