Find your next role at Legal & General
Senior Software Engineering Manager
We’re sorry. We’re no longer accepting applications for this role.
London or Cardiff
6 September 2023
Legal and General Investment Management are currently looking for a Senior Software Engineering Manager. In this key leadership position, you will lead a best-in-class, cross-functional team of software engineers. Along with leading and growing the team, you define and promote the team's ways of working, hiring, and training strategies.
You will be responsible for a balanced development team that delivers what they promise and ensuring that the team is set up for high performance and delivers software that meets the expectations of our customers taking all the non-functionals like security, performance, maintainability, reliability into account as well.
You will actively drive the team to get feedback from all stakeholders across LGIM (Legal & General Investment Management) and take action where needed while taking responsibility and providing support for the team in shaping the strategic direction and are an instrumental facilitator in reaching the goals we set out to accomplish.
- Coaching and leading software engineers and build an ardent team culture of learning and continuous development
- Managing day-to-day performance, risk, delivery efficiency and quality of software engineering team
- Building strong artisanship and effective processes for your team optimizing quality, predictability, and output
- Being a ‘hands-on’ technical contributor able to lead from the front – setting an example of behaviours and practices for the team members while carrying out development activity
- Working with architectural, business, and other engineering managers to shape, design and engineer solutions
- Taking technical solutions through governance processes with meaningful artefacts and ensuring the required engineering and architecture cohorts are engaged as required throughout the entire lifecycle
- Delivering highly scalable and reliable products
- Managing stakeholders through proactive communication and exception handling
- Collaborating with partners to ensure we have the capability to deliver our roadmap of development, focusing on quality and outcomes.
- Taking accountable for all code quality, security, and compliance
- Recruiting a diverse team of engineers who are both exceptionally talented and fit the culture of the business
- Experience of leading multi-disciplinary engineering teams and having line management responsibilities
- Ability to effectively delegate, empowering team to drive successful outcomes
- Solid understanding and experience with agile software development practises like scrum, kanban or SAFe (Scaled Agile Framework)
- Extensive experience of building software systems using modern Agile practices, continuous integration, automated testing, release management, performance monitoring and applicable tooling such as Jenkins, Git etc
- Experience of building, developing, and maintaining relationships at all levels with stakeholders, partners, and suppliers to support the operating model
- Ability to prioritise and plan effectively with a demonstrated ability to work well under pressure and in ambiguity. You thrive in a fast-paced environment and stay flexible and adaptable to growth and change
- Solid career experience as a software engineer, with expert level knowledge of and experience in Java and modern frameworks (Spring Boot, Quarkus etc)
- Solid experience in building microservices and APIs (Application Programming Interfaces)
- Good knowledge of and experience in databases (both relational and NoSQL)
- Knowledge of Docker and container orchestration tools e.g., Kubernetes
- Strong business acumen, communication, and presentation skills
When you commit to Legal & General, we’ll commit to you too. That means we’ll recognise and reward your hard work, your performance and your contribution.
If you join us, you’ll get access to some great benefits, including private medical insurance, 27 days holiday (excluding bank holidays), a generous pension scheme, life assurance, and Income Protection. You'll receive a car allowance of 12% of your annual salary, and you can participate in our electric car scheme, which offers employees the option to hire a brand new electric car through tax efficient salary sacrifice. We’re also proud to offer competitive family leave.
You’ll have the opportunity to participate in our annual, performance-related bonus plan and valuable share schemes. And then there are the many discounts we offer that you can take advantage of – both for our own products and at a range of high street stores and online offerings.
The brand with the brolly is choosing today to change tomorrow.
Since 1836, we’ve grown to become one of the world's largest asset managers, homebuilders, pension providers and insurance brands.
We’re all here to improve the lives of our customers, build a better society for the long term, and create value for our shareholders - helping to shape a better future for society and the planet.
We need people who share our ambitions, agility and entrepreneurial spirit to help us do it.
At L&G, you’ll find a balance that helps you be your best. Empowered by hybrid working, we’re supported by technology and workplaces that enable us to work effectively wherever we are. We come together in offices to collaborate and connect, and use time at home for individual, focused activities. And, when we achieve great things, we celebrate our success and reward strong performance.
Today, there’s over 10,000 of us, working towards our mission, with plenty of opportunities to grow your career as we grow L&G. Will you join us?
About the business area
The world of investment is changing. Our vision at Legal & General Investment Management is to create a better, more sustainable future through responsible investing. We work in partnership with our clients around the globe to deliver positive long-term outcomes, while rising to the challenges of a rapidly changing world. Our clients include institutional pension funds, financial institutions, local authorities and sovereign wealth funds. To meet our clients’ complex and evolving investment needs, our investment strategies cover a broad array of asset classes and styles, including equities, bonds, property and alternatives, as well as multi-asset funds. We’re focused on continuously innovating our investment products, maintaining our reputation as experts across all asset classes, and striving to build a more responsible and sustainable future.
Our commitment to Equal Opportunities
Great minds don’t have to think alike, so we welcome voices from all backgrounds. Bringing together people with different life experiences helps us build empathy with our customers and drive innovation.
We don’t just talk about it, we actively promote diversity and equitable opportunities for all. That means our employment decisions are made without regard to race, colour, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability or protected veteran status. In fact, we embrace every dimension of diversity to reflect the customers and communities we serve.
We think it’s important to create an inclusive environment where we can all belong, contribute and drive progress, where you can develop and grow, and be empowered. We want you to use your voice to help us build a better tomorrow.
We all work differently, and have different needs, which is why. we’re always open to discussing flexible working arrangements. Likewise, we’re committed to finding reasonable accommodations for candidates with specific needs during our recruiting process.
So whoever you are, wherever you are, whatever your story, we'd love to hear from you.
How to find out more
If this opportunity excites you but you’re not sure you meet all the requirements, or you’d like to know a bit more, please contact James Sandbrook at firstname.lastname@example.org (https://www.linkedin.com/in/james-sandbrook-04119a115/).
If you’d like to be considered for this role, please submit your application through our careers website as we’re not accepting email applications.