Find your next role at Legal & General
Head of Commercial Pricing (Actuarial)
We’re sorry. We’re no longer accepting applications for this role.
London or Hove
11 July 2022
To own and deliver all of the pricing elements outside of the Risk Pricing Philosophy with a view to maximise commercial value for the Group Protection business within an approved risk tolerance. This means owning and overseeing our philosophy and assumption setting as well as execution of pricing elements related to expenses, cost of capital, reinsurance and profitability loadings.
To develop and deliver pricing strategies and business wide profitability and distribution oversight mechanisms (including optimised delegated authority frameworks) that enables Group Protection to meet its strategic business goals whilst balancing profitability and risk exposure.
- Owning, developing and delivering robust commercial pricing strategies and governance mechanisms (including optimised delegated authority frameworks) for new and existing products and features that enable growth in market share whilst meeting profitability targets and adhering to risk control requirements, all in line with the Treating Customers Fairly policy.
- Owning the setting of expense, cost of capital, reinsurance and target profitability loadings by product, scheme size cohort, vintage and any other relevant split as required to maximise new business value add and profitable existing business retention.
- Owning the optimisation of all commercial decisions made in GP and delivering of target profitability across the book, including the design of appropriate management information. As part of this oversee and optimise any required cross-functional business forums designed to maximise commercial value and control commercial decisions.
- Working closely with the Distribution Director and Commercial Director ensuring monitoring of distribution teams are adequate and provides sufficient control to maximise commercial value from distribution activity. Ensuring the focus of distribution activity is on maximising NBAV and profitability and not APE. When required, deputise for Commercial Director and represent Legal and General interacting with key intermediaries and clients in the external market.
- Working closely with Head of Risk Pricing and Head of Underwriting ensuring that risk and commercial pricing elements are combined accurately and that the quality of scheme underwriting execution is appropriate.
- Overseeing our reinsurance strategy, ensuring this is appropriate, reviewed frequently in line with PICC guidelines and executed effectively.
- Overseeing the delivery of digital transformation activity related to the automation of scheme underwriting, specifically where it relates to the portal development as opposed to the manual underwriting which is the remit of the Head of Underwriting.
- Taking the lead in all matters with regard to the management of employees, ensuring that management discretion is used in a consistent manner and that the area follows the Group’s policies and procedures including the Partnership Agreement to maximise business performance.
- Qualified actuary
- Actuarial techniques for analysing experience
- Protection products and preferably group risk products
- Advanced analytical methods and data manipulation
- Commercial attitude and good inter-personal skills.
- Ability to analyse, interpret data and present conclusions in non-technical language
- Effectively managing high risk situations with senior leadership internally and with clients / external relationships
- Appreciation of how assumption and pricing recommendations will impact core financial metrics
- Balances strategic goals with immediate priorities, setting clear targets to achieve progress against both
- Takes ownership, delivers with drive & enthusiasm, deals with change in stride
- Strong people-management skills
When you commit to Legal & General, we’ll commit to you too. That means we’ll recognise and reward your hard work, your performance and your contribution.
If you join us, you’ll get access to some great benefits, including private medical insurance, 30 days holiday (excluding bank holidays), a generous pension scheme, life assurance, and Income Protection. You'll receive a car allowance of 12% of your annual salary, and you can participate in our electric car scheme, which offers employees the option to hire a brand new electric car through tax efficient salary sacrifice. We’re also proud to offer competitive family leave.
You’ll have the opportunity to participate in our annual, performance-related bonus plan and valuable share schemes. And then there are the many discounts we offer that you can take advantage of – both for our own products and at a range of high street stores and online offerings.
The brand with the brolly is choosing today to change tomorrow.
Since 1836, we’ve grown to become one of the world's largest asset managers, homebuilders, pension providers and insurance brands.
We’re all here to improve the lives of our customers, build a better society for the long term, and create value for our shareholders - helping to shape a better future for society and the planet.
We need people who share our ambitions, agility and entrepreneurial spirit to help us do it.
At L&G, you’ll find a balance that helps you be your best. Empowered by hybrid working, we’re supported by technology and workplaces that enable us to work effectively wherever we are. We come together in offices to collaborate and connect, and use time at home for individual, focused activities. And, when we achieve great things, we celebrate our success and reward strong performance.
Today, there’s over 10,000 of us, working towards our mission, with plenty of opportunities to grow your career as we grow L&G. Will you join us?
About the business area
Life can sometimes be unpredictable, and it pays to plan ahead. Our aim at Legal & General Retail is to help our customers plan for the unexpected, achieve financial security for their tomorrow, and protect everything that’s important to them. To better understand our customers and meet their needs, we’ve brought our protection, retirement income, savings, lending and advice, fintech and mortgage businesses under one umbrella. Created at the start of 2022 through the merging of our long-standing and trusted retail retirement and insurance businesses, we’re a fast-growing division with big, customer-centered ambitions.
Our commitment to Equal Opportunities
Great minds don’t have to think alike, so we welcome voices from all backgrounds. Bringing together people with different life experiences helps us build empathy with our customers and drive innovation.
We don’t just talk about it, we actively promote diversity and equitable opportunities for all. That means our employment decisions are made without regard to race, colour, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability or protected veteran status. In fact, we embrace every dimension of diversity to reflect the customers and communities we serve.
We think it’s important to create an inclusive environment where we can all belong, contribute and drive progress, where you can develop and grow, and be empowered. We want you to use your voice to help us build a better tomorrow.
We all work differently, and have different needs, which is why. we’re always open to discussing flexible working arrangements. Likewise, we’re committed to finding reasonable accommodations for candidates with specific needs during our recruiting process.
So whoever you are, wherever you are, whatever your story, we'd love to hear from you.
How to find out more
If this opportunity excites you but you’re not sure you meet all the requirements, or you’d like to know a bit more, please contact Jordan Russell at firstname.lastname@example.org (LinkedIn profile: https://www.linkedin.com/in/jordan-russell-70ab89169/).
If you’d like to be considered for this role, please submit your application through our careers website as we’re not accepting email applications.