Find your next role at Legal & General
Risk Analytics Technical Change Actuary
Fixed Term Contract (inc Secondee)
London with agile working
Competitive base plus flexible benefits
12 August 2022
At Legal & General, we have a brilliant opportunity for a talented actuarial professional to join us as Risk Analytics Technical Change Actuary on a 9 month FTC / secondment basis.
This vacancy is a key role in the delivery of the business growth and operational transformation of LGRI and the L&G Group-wide insurance stakeholders whom the Risk Analytics team serves in its asset data and related actuarial and financial reporting systems and process Product Owner role.
The Risk Analytics Technical Change Actuary ensures delivery of assigned initiatives within the Risk Analytics Product Line’s portfolio of change by using their awareness of both the business needs and the Risk Analytics processes and systems to facilitate the design, testing and implementation of appropriate solutions.
- Actively develop and maintain ongoing relationships, communication with all stakeholders, suppliers to ensure change requests are delivered to an appropriate level of quality, that all are fully aware, in a timely way, of any key issues, risks, assumptions and dependencies they should consider or address, of the information they’ll need to supply in support of project delivery, and they are given enough timely information about the expected changes so as to be operationally ready for go Live
- Support the Lead Technical Change Actuary in giving guidance to the Risk Analytics team and its customers on the solutions that will best deliver the requested changes to the models, modelling methodologies, reporting processes of the various financial reporting metrics facilitated by Risk Analytics whilst at the same time will not create regression to existing metrics and processes, and in doing so highlighting any technical limitations of the solutions, their potential impact on desired business outcomes could be met and how this could be mitigated
- Ensure Risk Analytics driven projects and change initiatives deliver their desired outcomes to the agreed budget, timescales, quality and stakeholder priorities through working directly with the requesting and delivery teams and any 3rd parties in accordance with the relevant L&G Business and IT Change policies, best practices and governance frameworks in delivery of the solutions, required governance deliverables and providing actuarial technical steer, input into delivery plans, risk and issue reporting and resolution.
- Ensure effective solutions are implemented to meet business needs, by, as agreed with the business requestors of change, either managing their delivery of or carrying out elements of the requirements gathering and impact assessment process through which the business and IT opportunity/problems are understood, investigated, documented and stakeholder validated; doing this by using appropriate actuarial analysis techniques, any relevant supporting modelling and other data investigations, eliciting calculation specifications and acceptance criteria from stakeholders, documenting their requirements, developing independent calculation replicating tools, and considering existing asset and other relevant data needs, including from 3rd parties
- Act like and on behalf of the customer by ensuring sufficient testing and quality evaluation of the deliverables has occurred at all stages of the delivery and development lifecycle, this to ensure that the end product is fit for purpose, meets the business and IT acceptance criteria, is signed off by all relevant stakeholders as acceptable, and any exceptions to the agreed acceptance criteria are identified to stakeholders for consideration
- Manage the smooth, integrated delivery of initiatives and their outcomes into the wider business for them to be able to realise the expected benefits; achieving this via updates to Risk Analytics BAU operating model documentation; regular ongoing socialisation of the changes and their expected impacts on stakeholder processes; training stakeholders and suppliers to ready them to use any updated software and processes
- Ensure that the principles of Conduct Risk and Treating Customers Fairly (TCF) are embedded into your day to day operations to deliver good customer outcomes at all times. Ensure that all business processes and internal controls within your role are designed and performed in a way that delivers good customer outcomes and demonstrates effective management of Conduct Risk.
- A qualified Actuary with post qualification experience from either a life company or consultancy; having additional qualifications such as MSc Finance, CFA would be helpful.
- Desired but not mandatory- Project, Software Development related certification: any of APMG Prince 2 Practitioner, Association of Project Managers (AMP), Agile PM practitioner; ITSQB Test Manager foundation certificate; Business Analysis – eg BCS Diploma in Business Analysis modules
Typically the role-holder will have a very good understanding of the following :
- Insurance Financial reporting processes and metrics : Economic Capital, Solvency II, IFRS, ALM; Life and Pension products, Bulk and individual annuity products
- Asset valuation and modelling across a variety of asset classes incl covering Credit Fixed Income, Rates and Interest Rate Fixed Income, ABS, Equities, Property, Derivatives, Swaps, Equity Release Mortgages, Direct Investments, coupled with knowledge of asset and asset modelling related BAU operations and the necessary attitude towards Live Production systems;
- Programme, Project and Change management, software delivery under Agile and other SDLC approaches
- Provision of designs and requirements gathering for and testing of actuarial / risk management analytics functionality
- Hands on experience of programming in languages such as Python, VBA, R, C++
- Good awareness of the IT technologies and delivery techniques used to build and implement the financial and analytical modelling systems and processes used by actuaries, quantitative financial engineers in Insurance organisations, incl asset modelling software such as AlgoOne
Typically the role-holder will have the following :
- Excellent communication, collaboration and interpersonal skills with the ability to influence and steer key stakeholders, incl executive managers, to reshape business problems to solutions that can be solved with available technology; of translating the principles of Business Transformation into business/people change activities and project outcomes
- Proven experience of implementation of actuarial / risk reporting models and tools, and derivation of new pricing / risk management algorithms; of supporting software systems development and project delivery life cycles
- Strong collaboration skills and experience of working with Business and IT architects, Actuaries, Quantitative/Solution Financial Engineers, IT colleagues to deliver change
- Demonstrated problem solving, trouble-shooting skills, coupled with a proven ability to address and use initiative to deliver solutions to technical and business problems, and proven analytical skills, the ability to review and test financial metrics and results for reasonableness
- The willingness to embrace new technology, influence business teams to adopt it;
- Ability to self-manage, support multiple concurrent projects, balance conflicting strategies, priorities and work in a dynamic environment
- The ability to manage and benefit from virtual meetings, with limited reliance on face-to-face meetings; and to work without the constraints of a fixed office or desk location, focusing on outcomes and benefits, rather than tasks and measures.
Whatever your role, we reward ability, performance and attitude with a package that looks after all the things that are important to you. Our employees have a wide range of benefits including a generous pension scheme, life assurance, 27 days' holiday, an annual supplement for private medical insurance, performance related bonuses, discounts at both a huge range of high street stores and our own great products. Your hard work will be rewarded when you join us.
As a company, to be one of the world's largest Asset Managers, homebuilders, pension providers and insurances brands, we are diverse by our very nature. And we're a company that wants to use our diversity and influence to make society better in the long term - for everyone. To do this we need to be a company that welcomes everyone, where everyone can succeed. That means we're committed to building an inclusive culture in L&G where we can all perform at our best, no matter who we are, what we do or where we do it. So whoever you are, wherever you are, whatever your story, we'd love to hear from you.
About the business area
Helping over ten million people around the world manage their savings, retirement plans and life insurance requires a lot of people behind-the-scenes. It’s up to us in L&G Group functions – which includes our tech and digital teams, Group Finance, HR, Risk and Corporate Comms to provide the essential support services that all areas of the business need, here in the UK and overseas. Simply put, we enable everyone at Legal & General to do what they do best. That means we’re helping to improve our customers’ lives, and contributing to the success of the business every day.
Our commitment to Equal Opportunities
We’re an equal opportunities employer and welcome applications from all suitably qualified persons regardless of their race, sex, disability, religion/belief, sexual orientation, gender identity or age.
How to find out more
If this opportunity excites you but you’re not sure you meet all the requirements, or you’d like to know a bit more, please contact Jordan Russell at firstname.lastname@example.org (LinkedIn profile: https://www.linkedin.com/in/jordan-russell-70ab89169/).
If you’d like to be considered for this role, please submit your application through our careers website as we’re not accepting email applications.