Find your next role at Legal & General
Governance Manager (Affordable Homes)
We’re sorry. We’re no longer accepting applications for this role.
London (remote considered)
£40,000 - £50,000 per annum + Car allowance
23 February 2022
This is fantastic opportunity for an experienced Governance Manager to join one of the most cutting edge businesses within the group.
Created in 2018, Legal and General Affordable Homes is a commercial business with a social purpose. We focus on injecting institutional capital into the affordable housing sector to build good quality homes and deliver a great customer experience.
As one of the fastest growing businesses within the group, we now require the expertise of an individual who can lead the management of our boards and committees. Reporting to the Head of Policy and Governance, you will be responsible for working with senior stakeholders to deliver an efficient and professional governance and board support service, advice and guidance on governance best practice, legal entity administration and ad-hoc projects for which the team is responsible.
In this fast paced and varied role, you'll manage the policy framework, and will support policy owners to review and update policies in accordance with the review cycle. You will also have the chance to support the Head of Policy and Governance in the oversight of risk management and RSH regulatory compliance, regularly producing board and committee reports and overseeing internal control processes.
This is fantastic opportunity for you to work in an autonomous environment, working a variety of tasks in Governance, risk, assurance, and policy. You'll be dealing with senior stakeholders, and will be given the freedom to take ownership of your work. This opportunity will give you excellent exposure across the business where you can have high visibility, meaning lots of potential to develop. If you are a pragmatic, adaptable, and confident person, with a curious nature, then this role is full of opportunity for you to thrive.
- Responsible for the day-to-day management of the cycle of boards and committees, including: owning the governance calendar and meeting invites; drafting agendas and circulating requests and reminders for papers; managing the collation and distribution of Board papers, including uploading papers to Diligent and producing PDF packs where necessary; drafting matters arising reports; and taking minutes.
- Manage the forward programmes of the boards and committees in the LGAH family of businesses, applying knowledge and experience of social housing governance to ensure that all key matters are included.
- Manage the annual review of board effectiveness for all boards in the LGAH family of businesses, advising board members accordingly and devising actions to improve the effectiveness of the boards and committees based on the results.
- Establish a CPD programme for board members following analysis of the skills matrix and training requirements. Arrange individual and collective CPD sessions and track progress against the programme.
- Lead the annual self-assessments of compliance against the RSH Regulatory Standards and our adopted code of governance (Currently the NHF Code of Governance).
- Manage the LGAH policy framework, ensuring that policies remain up to date, are approved via the correct route, and are available for all staff to access. Maintain version control and support subject matter experts to develop policies that are appropriate for a Registered Provider of social housing.
- Support the Head of Policy and Governance to produce regular reporting to the board on matters of governance, regulation and risk.
- Assist with LGAH governance and regulatory projects that will improve governance standards and regulatory compliance, e.g. preparation for IDA.
- Experience in the financial services and/or affordable housing industries.
- Experience in working in a governance or company secretarial team. Experienced in the board and committee yearly cycle, meeting organisation and minute taking.
- Well versed in best practice in governance and regulation.
- Experience of working as part of an emerging team - developing networks and processes, initiating projects, actively looking for improvements and solutions.
- Experience of writing for a range of audiences, including minute taking, reports, presentations, policies, process notes, and emails.
- Excellent working knowledge of governance and if possible, experience working within the RSH Regulatory Framework.
- Previous experience influencing and building strong relationships with key stakeholders at all levels.
Whatever your role, we reward ability, performance and attitude with a package that looks after all the things that are important to you. Our employees have a wide range of benefits including a generous pension scheme, 10% car allowance, life assurance, employee private medical insurance, 25 days' holiday, performance related bonuses. Your hard work will be rewarded when you join us.
As a company, to be one of the world's largest Asset Managers, homebuilders, pension providers and insurances brands, we are diverse by our very nature. And we're a company that wants to use our diversity and influence to make society better in the long term - for everyone. To do this we need to be a company that welcomes everyone, where everyone can succeed. That means we're committed to building an inclusive culture in L&G where we can all perform at our best, no matter who we are, what we do or where we do it. So whoever you are, wherever you are, whatever your story, we'd love to hear from you.
About the business area
Legal & General Affordable Homes is a subsidiary of Legal & General Capital, which invests its long-term capital into sectors where there has been a shortage of investment and innovation, focusing on growth opportunities and scale ups. Focused on supporting the UK’s demographic and affordable living needs, and consistent with Legal & General’s housing growth strategy, Legal & General Affordable Homes is leading the evolution of the affordable housing sector with an aim to become the leading private affordable housing provider in the UK. Through collaborating with developers, housing associations and public sector bodies across the country, L&G Affordable Homes is forward-funding new build affordable housing, bringing volume institutional capital to the social housing sector with initial target markets being affordable rent, shared ownership and rent-to-buy.
Our commitment to Equal Opportunities
We’re an equal opportunities employer and welcome applications from all suitably qualified persons regardless of their race, sex, disability, religion/belief, sexual orientation, gender identity or age.
Does this opportunity excite you but you’re not 100% sure if you meet all the requirements for the role? Or are you concerned that ‘normal’ office hours aren’t possible given your personal circumstances? We’re aware that candidates, especially women, can be put off from applying for a job unless they tick every box, or candidates who are parents or have other caring responsibilities may not think they can achieve the flexibility they need. If this is you, we’re keen to connect; and whilst we can’t accommodate every flexible working request, we’ll try to find a practical solution. So why not apply?
How to find out more
If you’d like more information about this opportunity please contact Alex Adams at email@example.com (https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-adams-29b595a3/). Please note direct applications via email cannot be accepted for this role; only applications submitted through our careers website will be considered.