Find your next role at Legal & General
Senior Data Analyst
We’re sorry. We’re no longer accepting applications for this role.
Hove; agile working
10 September 2021
We are thrilled to be recruiting into our market-leading Risk Pricing & Analytics team here at Legal & General.
We are seeking either an Actuarial Analyst, with between 4 and 12 actuarial exams passed, or someone with a strong statistical/coding background to join our Risk Pricing & Analytics team as part of the UKs leading Individual Protection Pricing business.
We oversee the largest portfolio of Protection business in the UK for an individual insurer; this provides opportunity for the right individual to apply actuarial techniques studied in exams within a real world environment, helping to develop new approaches to setting demographic assumptions.
The role will include application of GLM and/or Machine Learning techniques as well as significant use of data manipulation packages with an aim to inform pricing decisions and risk management as well as incorporating proposals within financial reporting.
- Support all areas of the Risk Pricing & Analytics team to help maintain L&G as one of the UK’s leading market providers of Individual Protection products.
- Manage the tasks necessary to interpret the results of the experience investigations to develop and refine the pricing and best estimate basis, by employing data analysis and modelling techniques.
- maintain and manage the existing suite of products and assist in the delivery of new projects and initiatives developed within the business unit.
- Assist in the development and integration of a new risk framework to ensure that it meets the necessary requirements.
- Develop new and existing products by providing data analysis expertise and any additional support as required.
- Use Actuarial techniques, machine learning and statistical techniques to create new scalable solutions to business problems.
- Represent the department and establish and maintain contacts within the organisation.
- Ensure that the principles of Treating Customers Fairly (TCF) are adhered to by understanding who our customers are and their needs.
- Managing their expectations, by working to agreed timescales and across teams where necessary.
- Member of the Institute of Actuaries with between 4 and 12 actuarial exam passes (generous study support package offered if conditions of scheme met).
- Degree (masters or above) with significant statistical or data science components.
- Background in assumption setting within a Life Insurance environment advantageous.
- An understanding of Individual Protection products and key issues associated.
- Knowledge of a relevant actuarial/statistical modelling platforms (e.g. Emblem) and data manipulation tools (e.g. SAS or R) advantageous.
- Conceptual thinking about hard abstract problems and solves them with smart, creative and elegant solutions, with a preference for simplicity.
- Knowledge and understanding of Microsoft Office applications, including the ability to manipulate complex spreadsheets and VBA code.
- Effective at planning, organising and managing your own time. Can appropriately prioritise multiple demands, disciplines and functions.
- Able to build relationships with stakeholders and colleagues to support the delivery of key projects on time.
- Understands own work in the wider actuarial and business context, makes judgements (under some guidance) about whether an issue needs to be referred to more senior actuaries.
- Able to work under pressure and meet targets.
- Team player, with demonstrable experience of helping a team to succeed in its goals.
- Put forward ideas, identify & act upon opportunities to enhance the performance of the team.
- Demonstrate professional responsibility and accountability.
- May be required to coach or mentor more junior or less experienced team members.
Whatever your role, we reward ability, performance and attitude with a package that looks after all the things that are important to you. Our employees have a wide range of benefits including a generous pension scheme, life assurance, 25 days’ holiday, private medical insurance, discretionary performance related bonuses, paid overtime, a variety of share schemes, discounts at both a huge range of high street stores and our own great products. Your hard work will be rewarded when you join us.
If you are a part qualified actuary, Legal & General runs a highly regarded Actuarial Rotations Programme for students, which you would be a part of.
For internal candidates, please note that your application will be shared with the L&G Chief Tutor. This is your name only and for rotation purposes.
As a company, to be one of the world's largest Asset Managers, homebuilders, pension providers and insurances brands, we are diverse by our very nature. And we're a company that wants to use our diversity and influence to make society better in the long term - for everyone. To do this we need to be a company that welcomes everyone, where everyone can succeed. That means we're committed to building an inclusive culture in L&G where we can all perform at our best, no matter who we are, what we do or where we do it. So whoever you are, wherever you are, whatever your story, we'd love to hear from you.
About the business area
At Legal & General Insurance we look after our customers throughout life, death and everything in between so that you know that everything that’s important to you is protected. With over 180 years’ experience in providing Insurance policies, our customers trust us to be there and to do the right thing.
Our commitment to Equal Opportunities
We’re an equal opportunities employer and welcome applications from all suitably qualified persons regardless of their race, sex, disability, religion/belief, sexual orientation, gender identity or age.
Does this opportunity excite you but you’re not 100% sure if you meet all the requirements for the role? Or are you concerned that ‘normal’ office hours aren’t possible given your personal circumstances? We’re aware that candidates, especially women, can be put off from applying for a job unless they tick every box, or candidates who are parents or have other caring responsibilities may not think they can achieve the flexibility they need. If this is you, we’re keen to connect; and whilst we can’t accommodate every flexible working request, we’ll try to find a practical solution. So why not apply?
How to find out more
If you’d like more information about this opportunity please contact Helen Kinloch at firstname.lastname@example.org (LinkedIn profile https://www.linkedin.com/in/helenkinloch/). Please note direct applications via email cannot be accepted for this role; only applications submitted through our careers website will be considered.