Find your next role at Legal & General
Apprentice Software Developer
Apprenticeship - Permanent
30 July 2021
We’re looking for someone with a desire to learn and contribute to become an Apprentice Software Developer. You will receive full training, support and development throughout the 3 year program and gain formal qualifications alongside additional training in both the Technology and the Investment Management domains. Once you’ve learned the basics, you will get to join multiple different established in-house development teams working on cutting edge Investment Management software solutions. This will be on a rotational basis giving you the opportunity to experience different types of development work in different business areas. We’re open to people from any background, so if you need help with the application process, do let us know!
- Learn to develop software using the Java programming language
- Spend 20% of your time on formal college training with our apprenticeship training provider
- Follow mentoring as specified
- Work as part of a software development team on real business applications
- Be active in developer team meetings to keep colleagues informed and to create a forum for knowledge sharing
By the end of your apprenticeship you will...
- Have obtained level 4 qualification or university degree (towards the end of your level 4 apprenticeship we offer you the choice to continue to do a full degree or convert to a junior developer straight away)
- Build according to technical direction and established patterns
- Use a number of tools and other programming languages where necessary
- Follow application & component level design, working to standards and patterns
- Propose solutions and agree those with a Senior/Lead Developer
- Follow coding standards and ensure compliance with quality measures
- Provide 3rd line support where required
- Contribute to the team ownership view of the platforms/systems you work on (everyone owns the code)
- Ensure code is tested in accordance with the guidelines
- Cope with context switching and work to deadlines
- Help the next group of apprentices find their feet.
- Be given cake…
- A-levels (or equivalent) in Maths or Science related subjects
- Genuine interest in software development - please add something, if possible, to your application to show this, eg. Your github account or a description of what you’ve done with regards to software development
- Willingness & aptitude to learn new skills
- Problem Solver
- Demonstrates a pro-active, self-motivated and positive attitude
- Good communication
- Collaborates well as part of a team
Work Experience – Desirable (but NOT required):
- Applied Programming (any language)
- 22 days holiday plus public holidays
- Pension 5% non-contributory plus up to a 5% match
- Range of employee benefits like cycle to work scheme, gym discount, free eye test etc.
- Apprenticeship discounts such as reduced cost oyster card
As a company, to be one of the world's largest Asset Managers, homebuilders, pension providers and insurances brands, we are diverse by our very nature. And we're a company that wants to use our diversity and influence to make society better in the long term - for everyone. To do this we need to be a company that welcomes everyone, where everyone can succeed. That means we're committed to building an inclusive culture in L&G where we can all perform at our best, no matter who we are, what we do or where we do it. So whoever you are, wherever you are, whatever your story, we'd love to hear from you.
About the business area
BUILDING SOFTWARE AT LGIM
The software development teams at LGIM work on projects for different business areas; from portfolio management tools for our traders to backend integration with external vendors and web portals to service our clients. We use a number of different technologies as well to solve a wide range of problems. Our projects can range from a small change to an existing system that will make one business team’s work easier to really big new systems that can impact every area of the business.
LGIM’S ETHICAL CULTURE
Successful companies are those that understand the importance of behaving responsibly for the good of society and acting in the interests of their customers – Nigel Wilson, CEO
At LGIM we believe that we all have a responsibility towards the world, our customers and the communities we live and work in. We invest in companies that create cleaner energy or build more local houses. LGIM plays an active role in the companies we invest in, from exercising shareholder voting rights to directly engaging with companies at a board level.
LGIM welcomes people of all backgrounds. Being inclusive is one of our core business principles because it increases the breadth of our knowledge, with the closely linked aims of improving customer outcomes and delivering stronger financial performance.
Our commitment to Equal Opportunities
We’re an equal opportunities employer and welcome applications from all suitably qualified persons regardless of their race, sex, disability, religion/belief, sexual orientation, gender identity or age.
We want you to feel comfortable that this process is as fair and inclusive as possible, so please let us know if you have an illness or disability that you think may affect your performance during the process, so that reasonable adjustments can be made. Likewise, if you need any support with the recruitment process, i,e, accessing the tests online then please reach out to us for support.
How to find out more
- Applications will be accepted until 30 July but may be closed sooner if required so please make sure you submit your application as soon as possible
- Please provide a copy of your CV and a covering letter outlining why you believe Legal & General Investment Management should offer you an Apprentice Developer position
- Please apply via: https://apply.lgim.com/vacancies/ from 17 May 2021
- Once your application has been received you will receive an email with a link to our screening system. This may take a few days while applications go through our HR system.
- Shortlisted candidates will be contacted throughout the application period, with an assessment centre held in the last week of August or the first week of September.
- Start Date for the successful candidates: 4 October 2021