Find your next role at Legal & General
Senior Data Engineer
We’re sorry. We’re no longer accepting applications for this role.
Fixed Term Contract (inc Secondee)
Hove or London (with travel to the other office)
£50-55k depending on experience
7 May 2021
With ongoing investment in data across our Retirement division, this Senior Data Engineer role is very important in achieving our ambition. You will have exposure to all levels of the business with opportunities to participate in the writing of the data strategy across our Retirement division.
This role is a 12 month Fixed Term Contract.
- Oversee the Analytics Development Lifecycle (ADLC) implementation across all Data Projects assigned
- Work autonomously to develop and deploy Data Solutions spanning Data Infrastructure, Data Architecture, Technology, ETL/ELT, Data Storage & management, Data Modelling and Delivery
- Line management of Data Engineers and task management across projects to ensure development of all associated ADLC products & artefacts are in line with the Enterprise Data Strategy and Business Project Objectives
- Work with stakeholders across the division to help devise, ratify and communicate strategies for Data Solutions to solve particular issues
- Identify, design, and lead the implementation of internal process improvements: automating manual processes, optimizing data delivery, re-designing infrastructure for greater scalability. in line with the Enterprise Data Strategy
- Ensure all analysis, decisions made and activity undertaken is fulfilling of this role considers the fair treatment of our customers
- Manage the team of assigned Data Engineers in accordance with the Company’s policies and procedures, including the Partnership Agreement, so that the team’s business objectives are achieved consistently.
- Advanced working SQL knowledge and experience working with relational databases, and NoSQL databases, unstructured data and familiarity with a variety of Database Management Systems (Oracle, DB2, SQL Server, Azure SQL)
- Build processes supporting data transformation, data structures, metadata, dependency and workload management (ELT/ETL, DBMS, Data Modelling)
- Infrastructure, Architecture and Cloud computing for Data related Platforms, Software and Infrastructure
- Excellent organisational skills and attention to detail with demonstrated ability to work independently focusing on priorities across a range of tasks
- Demonstrable experience working delivering Data Engineering solutions on highly complex Data Projects
- Collaborative worker who freely shares their knowledge and experience
- Good interpersonal and influencing skills, ability to engage across various stakeholders to develop, get buy-in and deliver approaches
- Microsoft Certified: Azure Data Engineer Associate or equivalent strongly preferred although not essential
Whatever your role, we reward ability, performance and attitude with a package that looks after all the things that are important to you. Our employees have a wide range of benefits including a generous pension scheme, life assurance, 27 days' holiday, an annual supplement for private medical insurance, performance related bonuses, discounts at both a huge range of high street stores and our own great products. Your hard work will be rewarded when you join us.
As a company, to be one of the world's largest Asset Managers, homebuilders, pension providers and insurances brands, we are diverse by our very nature. And we're a company that wants to use our diversity and influence to make society better in the long term - for everyone. To do this we need to be a company that welcomes everyone, where everyone can succeed. That means we're committed to building an inclusive culture in L&G where we can all perform at our best, no matter who we are, what we do or where we do it. So whoever you are, wherever you are, whatever your story, we'd love to hear from you.
About the business area
Legal & General Retirement Institutional (LGRI) is the UK’s longest-serving active bulk annuity provider. In the last 30 years we have written more UK business than any other insurer and currently look after over half a million pension policyholders. We are a market-leading and multi-award winning business.
We work with companies and pension scheme trustees to help them honour their Defined Benefit pension promises to their employees. We do this through bulk annuity insurance transactions or pension ‘buy-ins’ or ‘buyouts’, which enable pension trustees to secure their scheme members’ benefits with us. By doing this we:
- help companies to settle their pension liabilities and focus on growing their businesses
- help to support individuals' financial security in retirement
- invest for the long term to back our pension promises.
Our commitment to Equal Opportunities
We’re an equal opportunities employer and welcome applications from all suitably qualified persons regardless of their race, sex, disability, religion/belief, sexual orientation, gender identity or age.
Does this opportunity excite you but you’re not 100% sure if you meet all the requirements for the role? Or are you concerned that ‘normal’ office hours aren’t possible given your personal circumstances? We’re aware that candidates – especially women – can be put off from applying for a job unless they tick every box or because they don’t think they can achieve the flexibility they need. If this is you, we’re keen to connect; and whilst we can’t accommodate every flexible working request, we’re very happy to have a discussion. So why not apply?
How to find out more
If you’d like more information about this opportunity please contact Tom Booty at Tom.Booty@landg.com (LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/tom-booty-38b337b4/). Please note direct applications via email cannot be accepted for this role; only applications submitted through our careers website will be considered.