Find your next role at Legal & General
Systems Actuary (12 month FTC)
We’re sorry. We’re no longer accepting applications for this role.
Fixed Term Contract (inc Secondee)
£55,000 to £65,000 dependent on experience plus benefits
14 March 2021
Interested in an Actuarial position that is part of a wider drive for Technological Actuarial Change?
We're looking for a Systems Actuary to assist with the actuarial analysis for the Legal & General's Retirement (LGR) division, providing design and input into the delivery of technology systems for all LGR actuarial platforms.
Although you would be contractually be based in Hove, we offer very flexible working with the opportunity to work from home or another office if required. We would expect you to be on site in Hove at least two days per week.
- Actuarial design ownership: Producing and owning end-to-end actuarial design of the solution spanning multiple software components (evidencing at all points how the design answers the requirements – clear traceability). Help convert LGR strategic vision into local activities by working with Senior System Actuaries
- Interaction: Working with development teams to deliver detailed actuarial design. Working with the Enterprise Architects to ensure that data and functional actuarial architectures adhere to the high-level architecture principles and support target state vision for the enterprise
- System requirements: Working closely with Business Architects and Business Analysts to help with translating desired business outcomes into robust system requirements, both functional and non-functional. Willing to challenge traditional thinking and design.
- Development & testing: Facilitate and participate in detailed design reviews. Working with testing team (or for smaller projects this may be self-driven) to support the definition and implementation of the testing strategy for the initiative. Ensure any actuarial calculations are to specification. Ability to carry out robust testing to enable release to UAT.
- Delivery: Working with developers to elicit, validate and refine estimates for developing the software components. Planning and coordination deployment activities across multiple technology platforms. Note that accountability for delivering technology change is with project managers and/or lead developers if BAU.
- Technical: Develop end to end EUC solutions only where these add value to the business. The role holder must recognise the strategic replacement of EUCs and also where their limitations lie. The role must be responsible for the entire lifecycle of the EUC and any knowledge transfer to other members of the team.
- Knowledge base: Actuarial knowledge and support across LGR for subject matter expertise. Add value and education to business queries and understands impacts of change and LGR system interactions / flow. Challenge the business requirements with regard to actuarial appropriateness.
- Help to deliver a strategy and plan to ensure business development activities are delivered in line with Legal & General’s Customer Experience and Treating Customers Fairly policy
- Substantial experience in software/application development with progressively increasing responsibilities and long-term engagements with employers. Source control and best practice should be well understood.
- Track record of analysing solutions and requirements for a wide variety of initiatives spanning multiple technologies, delivered over a significant period of time
- Experience with modern technology change delivery processes (so called ‘agile’); some experience with continuous delivery and process automation.
- Significant experience of actuarial data analysis and MI
- Experience in facilitating and hosting workshops and focus groups with SMEs and senior stakeholders
- Exceptional personal and communication skills. Ability to adapt and work in an agile working environment and interact with people across various sites
- Proactive approach to identifying areas of inefficiency and drive resolution
- Technical skills in Excel / VBA / Access. Experience in SQL and porting of Excel to strategic systems beneficial. Python / R knowledge would be beneficial. Ability to read technical code (for example C++ or Java) would also be beneficial.
Whatever your role, we reward ability, performance and attitude with a package that looks after all the things that are important to you. Our employees have a wide range of benefits including a generous pension scheme, life assurance, 27 days' holiday, an annual supplement for private medical insurance, performance related bonuses, discounts at both a huge range of high street stores and our own great products. Your hard work will be rewarded when you join us.
As a company, to be one of the world's largest Asset Managers, homebuilders, pension providers and insurances brands, we are diverse by our very nature. And we're a company that wants to use our diversity and influence to make society better in the long term - for everyone. To do this we need to be a company that welcomes everyone, where everyone can succeed. That means we're committed to building an inclusive culture in L&G where we can all perform at our best, no matter who we are, what we do or where we do it. So whoever you are, wherever you are, whatever your story, we'd love to hear from you.
About the business area
Legal & General Retirement Institutional (LGRI) is the UK’s longest-serving active bulk annuity provider. In the last 30 years we have written more UK business than any other insurer and currently look after over half a million pension policyholders. We are a market-leading and multi-award winning business.
We work with companies and pension scheme trustees to help them honour their Defined Benefit pension promises to their employees. We do this through bulk annuity insurance transactions or pension ‘buy-ins’ or ‘buyouts’, which enable pension trustees to secure their scheme members’ benefits with us. By doing this we:
- help companies to settle their pension liabilities and focus on growing their businesses
- help to support individuals' financial security in retirement
- invest for the long term to back our pension promises.
Our commitment to Equal Opportunities
We’re an equal opportunities employer and welcome applications from all suitably qualified persons regardless of their race, sex, disability, religion/belief, sexual orientation, gender identity or age.
Does this opportunity excite you but you’re not 100% sure if you meet all the requirements for the role? Or are you concerned that ‘normal’ office hours aren’t possible given your personal circumstances? We’re aware that candidates – especially women – can be put off from applying for a job unless they tick every box or because they don’t think they can achieve the flexibility they need. If this is you, we’re keen to connect; and whilst we can’t accommodate every flexible working request, we’re very happy to have a discussion. So why not apply?
How to find out more
If you’d like more information about this opportunity please contact Stacie Burnett at Stacie.Burnett@landg.com (LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/stacie-burnett-11abb236). Please note direct applications via email cannot be accepted for this role; only applications submitted through our careers website will be considered.