Lead Python Developer
- Role Type
- London, Moorgate
- Closing Date
Our Lead Python Developer is accountable for an Agile development team implementing our Risk Analytics software – including Solvency II and Liquidity solutions running on Red Hat Linux in Microsoft Azure, as well as additional systems utilising a variety of software stacks. They are the technical lead for the solutions, maintaining a roadmap and strategy that aligns with technology and business direction.
- Software development lifecycle management of a team of Integration Engineers and Python Developers and compliance with our best practice development manual and principles
- Drive the technical direction of our solutions and continually remove technical deficit, contribute to the strategy of the wider LGR IT systems and play an active part of any LGR IT technical and architectural forums
- Define and scope configuration, interfacing and enhancement work with the product owners, project managers, and financial engineers. Deliver analysis and estimation of technical development
- Undertake setup and configuration of the IBM AlgoOne and third party products (database, middleware, reporting solutions), troubleshooting, testing (functional and volume) for original installation and system upgrades. Optimise delivery through CI/CD
- Develop customised solutions and modules in a range of development tools, continually improving operational and infra costs and demonstrably reducing operational risk
- Provide expertise and guidance to ensure the batch processes are automated and as efficient as possible, and provide third line support to the operational team
- Ensure that all software solutions are in-line with architectural direction and strategy of LGR; maintain 2 year plan of architectural direction of the LGR risk analytics software suite including budget awareness and cost efficiencies
- Control (security, access, code) and any internal policy governance of the software solutions
- Ensure the software development lifecycle in JIRA and Confluence meets business demand and is continually improved through a Kanban delivery style
- To take the lead in all matters with regard to the management of employees, ensuring that management discretion is used in a consistent manner and that the area follows the Group’s policies and procedures including the Partnership Agreement to maximise business performance
- Degree level or equivalent, in a technical or numerate field
- Line management of a software development team
- Experience of AlgoOne risk suite is beneficial
- Proven ability to address and use initiative to deliver solutions to technical and business problems
- Proven experience in software or database systems development and/or support with experience of project life cycles and complex product installation, customisation and commissioning
- Software development life cycle, including Agile, Continuous Delivery & Integration and DevOps
- Cloud based architecture experience is beneficial
- Capacity to estimate, manage own work and keep within plan
- Extensive Python coding experience – including numpy, scipy, and preferably dask and R
- Excellent hands on use of Unix commands / file systems and Unix application installation and shell scripting, specifically Red Hat
- Development experience and coding skills in some of: Visual Basic, Java, C++, C#, Bash would be beneficial
- Familiarity with database essentials (SQL, installation, sizing, performance), experienced DBA skills not essential, but familiarity with using Oracle or MS SQL Server required
- Source control, issue management software, and continuous integration software (Perforce, CVS, Subversion, GIT, JIRA, Hudson, Jenkins, Confluence)
- Technical, Application and Data architecture skills
Whatever your role, Legal & General rewards ability, performance and attitude with a package that looks after things that matter to you.
Our employees have a wide range of benefits including:
- A generous pension scheme
- Life assurance
- 30 holiday days
- 12% car allowance scheme
- Private medical insurance
- Performance related bonuses
- A variety of share schemes
- Discounts on high street and our own great products
Your hard work will be rewarded when you join us.
As a company, to be one of the world's largest Asset Managers, homebuilders, pension providers and insurances brands, we are diverse by our very nature. And we're a company that wants to use our diversity and influence to make society better in the long term - for everyone. To do this we need to be a company that welcomes everyone, where everyone can succeed. That means we're committed to building an inclusive culture in L&G where we can all perform at our best, no matter who we are, what we do or where we do it. So whoever you are, wherever you are, whatever your story, we'd love to hear from you.
Legal & General Retirement Institutional (LGRI) is the UK’s longest-serving active bulk annuity provider. In the last 30 years we have written more UK business than any other insurer and currently look after over half a million pension policyholders. We are a market-leading and multi-award winning business.
We work with companies and pension scheme trustees to help them honour their Defined Benefit pension promises to their employees. We do this through bulk annuity insurance transactions or pension ‘buy-ins’ or ‘buyouts’, which enable pension trustees to secure their scheme members’ benefits with us. By doing this we:
- help companies to settle their pension liabilities and focus on growing their businesses
- help to support individuals' financial security in retirement
- invest for the long term to back our pension promises.
We are an equal opportunities employer and welcome applications from all suitably qualified candidates.