Solicitor – Group Treasury and LGC Financing
- Role Type
- Closing Date
- Company Info
Working here is about being there for our customers; we’re available should the worst happen and we work together to enable social and financial equality across the UK. But it’s also about you –how you develop and what you can achieve. We’ll help your talent thrive in an environment where you’ll be supported to work flexibly and autonomously, sharing in our success and rewarded for a great performance with a generous benefits package.
- Department Info
From HR and Digital teams through to Group Finance, Risk and Corporate Comms – our Group function support our businesses across the UK and abroad. Delivering essential services and activities that have a real impact on our business and our customers lives, we enable our people to do what they do best, contributing to delivering a great customer service, profitability and strategic growth.
We are an equal opportunities employer and welcome applications from all suitably qualified persons regardless of their race, sex, disability, religion/belief, sexual orientation, gender identity or age.
- Job Duties
The roleholder will support the General Counsel - LGC in providing a first class legal service to (i) Group Treasury in respect of treasury matters and (ii) LGC in respect of banking, finance and securitisation matters matters for LGC, in each case working closely with business teams for those divisions.
To be the primary legal contact for, and direct the provision and management of legal advice to, (i) Group Treasury and (ii) LGC in respect of treasury and debt financing related activity (in the case of LGC Affordable Housing and Later Living, supporting the LGC Head of Legal with responsibility for those areas), to ensure:
- That the strategic and commercial objectives of the Group and LGC are, where possible, furthered
- That a proper account is taken of material legal risks and the Group’s and LGC’s position are mitigated and protected
- Compliance with relevant legislation and regulation
- Adherence to the highest standards of compliance to build and protect the Group’s and LGC’s reputation
- All relevant corporate governance aspects are considered
- Representation of the Group’s and LGC’s interests where appropriate at regulatory and industry forums
To both reactively and proactively:
- Ensure the provision of robust legal advice and support to Group Treasury and LGC in respect of debt financing transactions, in close connection with external counsel and other advisers (and in the case of LGC Affordable Housing and Later Living, supporting the LGC Head of Legal with responsibility for those areas)
- Deliver advice to a high standard within timeframes required by the business and in a manner that meets commercial needs
- Assist with structuring Group Treasury and LGC financing transactions
- Assist with oversight and governance of Group Treasury and LGC financing matters such as attending investment committees and pipeline meetings
- Advise on financial services regulatory issues associated with Group Treasury and LGC financing transactions
- Advise, coach and assist deal teams in managing legal matters and provide/facilitate training to internal stakeholders to support self-service/self-resolution where possible, in close connection with external counsel where relevant
- Provide governance support to Group Treasury, including in respect of periodic updates to delegated authorities and banking mandates
- Provide governance support to Legal & General Group Plc and Group subsidiary companies with respect to Group Treasury and LGC financing transactions and support deal teams with corporate governance matters in connection with transactions
- Develop and regularly review standard documents, reporting processes and policies/procedures across the Group to ensure fitness for purpose
- Keep abreast of legal developments in the field of financing, derivatives and restructuring and identify and drive process change within the Group Treasury and LGC teams and the wider business
- Share knowhow and expertise within the Group Legal team and deliver and facilitate the delivery of training in order to ensure effective knowledge sharing
- Work closely with the other LGC Heads of Legal to manage all legal and reputational risk within LGC and with Group Legal to manage all legal and reputational risk within Group
- Support where necessary the other lawyers in the LGC and Group Legal teams across a range of other matters/projects and to ensure that there is a co-ordinated and common approach to legal risk management; and work collaboratively with relevant internal stakeholders including company secretarial, finance/accounting, tax, risk, regulatory and board support in order to ensure a joined up approach on transactions and so that the strategic and commercial objectives of Group Treasury, LGC and the Group are achieved.
- Skills Required
- 2.1 or above degree from a recognised UK university (or qualification gained from a non-UK university); and
- England & Wales qualified solicitor (or a solicitor or attorney qualified in another jurisdiction) with relevant treasury/debt financing legal experience, either within a leading law firm or in-house with a treasury and/or transactional team dealing with financing matters.
- Significant experience negotiating, executing and managing a broad range of financing transactions, including syndicated loan finance, structured financing, leveraged financing, debt capital markets and securitisations
- Experience with derivatives (in particular OTC derivatives) and broad familiarity with relevant regulatory requirements including EMIR
- Broad familiarity with restructuring as well as real estate and infrastructure/project financing and closed ended fund structures also highly desirable
- Deep / expert level knowledge of the relevant statutory, regulatory and common law applicable to the field of corporate law in a major financial services group
- Good understanding of the debt and funding market and its impact on Legal & General’s strategy. Maintains and develops debt market commercial acumen
- Deep understanding of the legal services market; in particular changes affecting it which impact on the service deliverables of the firms which represent the Group’s business units.
Experience / skills:
- Willingness and capability to take ownership of complex issues with multiple stakeholders
- Ability to work independently to proactively identify, raise and resolve issues, and develop strategy
- Ability to successfully balance the demands of routine work, ad hoc requests and project delivery
- A commercial mindset with good judgement and the willingness to use it
- Ability to successfully challenge others where needed and drive matters forward
- Prepared to be the bearer of unwelcome or uncomfortable news with clarity and to seek to find solutions
- Ability to summarise complex issues in simple, easy to understand terms
- Ability to create and deliver clear and concise written or verbal reports and to advise others on doing so
- Ability to build strong working relationships within Group Treasury, LGC, the wider Group and with external stakeholders and advisers;
- Personal impact and credibility to effectively interface, engage and contribute broadly with the business
- Ability to juggle multiple matters in a fast-paced, transactional environment
- Strong transaction/project management and prioritisation skills
- Able to take ideas/solutions forward efficiently or to persuade others to do so
- Where necessary, can act as lead negotiator in commercial discussions using influence, logic and argument to position the business unit represented to achieve an appropriate outcome
- Proven ability to form a good working relationship with key external legal advisers and other senior lawyers and advisers
- Competent in use of IT systems such as Microsoft Word and Microsoft Powerpoint.
Whatever your role, we reward ability, performance and attitude with a package that looks after all the things that are important to you. Our employees have a wide range of benefits including a generous pension scheme, life assurance, 30 days' holiday, private medical insurance, performance related bonuses, discounts at both a huge range of high street stores and our own great products, as well as a 12% car allowance scheme, your hard work will be rewarded when you join us.
Please contact Stacie Burnett, Resourcing Lead - Stacie.Burnett@landg.com for further information.