Area Development Manager
- Role Type
- North West region - Cheshire, Merseyside, Greater Manchester, Lancashire and Cumbria.
- £55k to £70k, depending on experience
- Closing Date
- Company Info
Creating communities to live, grow and flourish.
We believe that the pride and commitment of our staff are the key to our success. By ensuring exceptional levels of care and quality throughout, we aim to become the foremost provider of first-class affordable homes and to ensure the highest quality customer journey is experienced.
- Department Info
Focused on supporting the UK’s demographic and affordable living needs, and consistent with Legal & General’s housing growth strategy, Legal & General Affordable Homes is leading the evolution of the affordable housing sector with an aim to become the leading private affordable housing provider in the UK. Through collaborating with developers, housing associations and public sector bodies across the country, L&G Affordable Homes is forward-funding new build affordable housing, bringing volume institutional capital to the social housing sector with initial target markets being affordable rent, shared ownership and rent-to-buy.
We are an equal opportunities employer and welcome applications from all suitably qualified persons regardless of their race, sex, disability, religion/belief, sexual orientation, gender identity or age.
- Job Duties
The role holder’s primary responsibility will be to grow and manage an affordable housing delivery team within a region responsible for the acquisition of primarily s106 affordable homes though also include some stock acquisitions outside the s106 funded with grant. The role holder will oversee the project management of schemes from acquisition through development to practical completion and snagging.
The roleholder will be covering the North West region - Cheshire, Merseyside, Greater Manchester, Lancashire and Cumbria.
The role holder will oversee a delivery team within a region which will prospect for s106-led schemes, scrutinise and price the schemes, negotiate the contracts to acquire schemes, ensure the effective project management of schemes by the development team and the efficient and effective handover of schemes to end customers. Responsibilities include:
- Reporting to a Regional Director of Development, and working with Finance and Operations team, support the full and successful delivery of s106 led affordable housing schemes.
- Undertake business development activities in relation to the s106 opportunities, targeting, overseeing the pricing and negotiation of schemes, and executing affordable housing forward funding and direct acquisitions from house builders and developers.
- Lead the prospecting of opportunities, appraising the schemes jointly with Finance and Operations teams, and then appraising and testing schemes in accordance with the approved investment parameters and the scrutiny processes. Review and ensure that scheme appraisals are 100% accurate before making recommendations for approval in line with L&G Group policies and standards.
- Peer reviewing schemes with the Regional Director of Development and providing recommendations to manage risks, optimise quality and deliver good value for money.
- Ensure a robust sign-off process is followed in line with agreed governance policies, operating within agreed financial and risk parameters.
- Manage all negotiations in a transparent, trustworthy and honest manner and to ensure the reputation of the company is safeguarded at all times and ensure that projects are contracted in accordance with the approvals and in accordance with the adopted policies and procedures.
- Effectively plan, monitor and disburse all items of expenditure associated with the acquisition pipeline.
- Be responsible for the effective contracting and project management of schemes to ensure they are delivered in accordance with the programmes and to a high quality of finish and a high level of customer satisfaction.
- Support the customer service team to monitor performance and to ensure high levels of customer satisfaction are achieved at all times.
- Ensure that schemes are completed to the standard delivery requirements, ensuring that these standards are met by all counterparties.
- Working closely with the Operations teams, coordinate the handovers to ensure that void periods are minimised and customer and stakeholder expectations are met.
- Monitor scheme bidding performance and pricing to ensure that the team are procuring at values which reflect the needs of the business.
- Lead and maintain relationships with partners to ensure we are a valued and trusted partner and are presented with opportunities as they arise.
- Skills Required
- Degree educated or equivalent
- Excellent academic background, with a numerical aptitude
- Sourcing and contracting multiple residential affordable housing investments and/or developments
- Maintaining trustworthy relationships with developers and house builders that are current and potential future partners and clients
- Actively participating in ensuring that new teams and capabilities are formed and operate collaboratively and with purpose to deliver the business results
- Delivering good returns and effective project management and risk management
- Deep experience in sourcing, closing and managing programmes of s106 schemes and stock acquisitions
- Deep locality specific knowledge of both the social housing and wider residential sectors, in particular an expert understanding of social housing development, housing management and regulatory requirements
- Knowledge of developing new business relationships
- Acting efficiently and productively within defined decision making processes
- Development management and project management of affordable housing schemes generally delivered through s106 programmes
- Commercial and financial management of affordable housing schemes generally delivered through s106 programmes
- A self-driven entrepreneurial spirit that embraces change and opportunity
- A highly commercial development manager that works collaterally with colleagues within and across the business with the capability of being highly effective in a corporate environment
- Ability to build new business ventures and teams to change business models and be “disruptive”
- Decisive whilst working at a quick pace
- Significant problem solving and “soft skills”
Whatever your role, we reward ability, performance and attitude with a package that looks after all the things that are important to you. Our employees have a wide range of benefits including a generous pension scheme, 10% car allowance, life assurance, family private medical insurance, 25 days' holiday, performance related bonuses, your hard work will be rewarded when you join us.
Please contact Stacie Burnett, Resourcing Lead - Stacie.Burnett@landg.com for further information.