Tax Reporting & Risk Manager
- Role Type
- Closing Date
- Company Info
Working here is about being there for our customers; we’re available should the worst happen and we work together to enable social and financial equality across the UK. But it’s also about you –how you develop and what you can achieve. We’ll help your talent thrive in an environment where you’ll be supported to work flexibly and autonomously, sharing in our success and rewarded for a great performance with a generous benefits package.
- Department Info
From HR and Digital teams through to Group Finance, Risk and Corporate Comms – our Group function support our businesses across the UK and abroad. Delivering essential services and activities that have a real impact on our business and our customers lives, we enable our people to do what they do best, contributing to delivering a great customer service, profitability and strategic growth.
We are an equal opportunities employer and welcome applications from all suitably qualified persons regardless of their race, sex, disability, religion/belief, sexual orientation, gender identity or age.
- Job Duties
To manage the provision of consolidated reporting numbers, forecasts and external disclosures as well as wider tax disclosures and management of the tax transparency approach within the Group.
To lead the operation of a Tax Risk Management Framework across the Group to in line with the Group’s wider risk processes and approach to ensure that tax risks are appropriately documented, managed, monitored and escalated.
The role holder will be responsible for liaising with BUs, tax colleagues and HMRC to ensure our approach to Tax Risk is understood and applied consistently around the Group.
To provide support to the Head of Tax Operations on group wide compliance matters as required.
- Manage the production of the year-end and interim group consolidated tax charge and tax disclosures with support from the Tax Compliance and Reporting Manager including the preparation of the half yearly briefing packs for the relevant stakeholders in respect of the consolidated tax position.
- Work closely with the Tax Compliance and Reporting Manager to provide additional oversight and review of group corporate tax compliance processes, including tax payments, group relief settlements and claims & elections.
- Assist the Head of Tax Operations in liaising with the Group’s external auditors to obtain final audit clearance of the Group consolidated tax provisions, reconciliation and disclosure notes.
- Responsible for the disclosures in the front half of the R&A, CSR report, tax internet and tax intranet pages.
- Responsible for the management of tax risk across the group including developing and managing a tax risk framework and ensuring tax policies are in place where appropriate. To lead the development and operation of the Tax Risk Framework across the Group and maintain an up to date view of the Group’s tax risks.
- Secretary to the tax risk committee and ensure approach to tax risk management and SAO compliance is appropriate, consistent across the Group and with the wider Group approach to risk management.
- Responsible for completing the Senior Accounting Officer disclosures annually and ensuring processes in place to support a clean sign-off annually. Communicate the L&G approach to tax risk management to HMRC.
- Monitor all legislation changes and consultations and co-ordinate training for the team, details of who is involved in which areas and input on tax matters to the Emerging Risk bulletins produced by Group Risk.
- Provide tax expertise and assistance on Group and Business Projects as requested by the Head of Tax Operations or Chief Tax Officer.
- Skills Required
Professional knowledge and qualifications
- Qualified Accountant with sufficient experience of financial accounting to maintain up-to-date professional knowledge.
- Member or fellow of the Chartered Institute of Taxation or with sufficient tax experience to maintain up-to-date professional knowledge.
Statutory and regulatory legislation
- Knowledge of UK Taxes Acts covering corporation tax, income tax, VAT, IPT, NIC and stamp duty to the extent that they apply to the companies in the group for which tax responsibility held.
- Knowledge of the tax aspects of UK GAAP and IFRS.
- Up to date working knowledge of all proposed current financial developments and their potential impact, including International Accounting Standards.
- High level knowledge of the key reporting requirements of the FSA and other regulatory bodies where appropriate.
- Understanding of the key concepts which drive regulation within our markets.
- Have an understanding of the general business and financial services environment and regulatory business requirements and its impact on Legal & General's strategy.
- Practical knowledge of each of the Group's businesses and how they interrelate including a knowledge of the operational structures of senior management and their reporting lines.
- Develops and maintains a working knowledge of the Group's policies and procedures including the Group’s risk management framework.
- Develops and maintains a commercial awareness of all businesses and products offered within the L&G Group.
- Ability to manage the production of both internal and external financial reporting documentation and announcements.
Systems and IT
- Knowledge of L&G Group’s UK general ledger and management reporting system.
- Sound working knowledge of Microsoft Office products including Excel, Word, Outlook and Powerpoint.
- Detailed application of the department’s specific tax software packages.
- Communicate complex technical issues in a clear, simple manner to a wide audience.
- Prepared to listen to others and work to understand their viewpoint.
- Ability to create and deliver clear and concise written or verbal reports.
- Open, actively seek to discuss issues and share information.
- Ability to adapt approach to suit audience.
- Assimilates complex information, identifies key issues, implications and consequences.
- Ability to review for trends, anticipate problems/omissions and consider potential ways to mitigate them.
- Be able to take ‘big picture’ approach.
- Prioritisation, planning and organisation of multi task/person assignments.
- Works with and provides guidance and support to other teams.
- Works to build contacts within the organisation.
- Practice effective delegation: clear explanations, establish capabilities, use as an opportunity to develop, monitor progress and provide constructive feedback.
- Proactively seeks solutions to problems.
- Ability to progress idea/solution by undertaking extra tasks proactively.
- Clarifies objectives, aims, timescales and required outcomes.
- Obtains appropriate factual data to assist in decision-making.
- Ability to make judgement calls where appropriate without referral to senior manager
- Builds and develops strong relationships with staff, peers and other contacts within the business.
- Builds and develops strong relationships with HMRC and overseas fiscal authorities, tax advisors and industry groups
Whatever your role, we reward ability, performance and attitude with a package that looks after all the things that are important to you. Our employees have a wide range of benefits including a generous pension scheme, life assurance, 27 days' holiday,private medical insurance, performance related bonuses, a variety of share schemes, discounts at both a huge range of high street stores and our own great products, your hard work will be rewarded when you join us.
For further information about the role, please contact Lynn Morriss, UK Resourcing Lead, at firstname.lastname@example.org