Interim Tax Compliance Manager
- Role Type
- Fixed Term Contract (inc Secondee)
- London or Hove based
- Closing Date
- Company Info
Working here is about being there for our customers; we’re available should the worst happen and we work together to enable social and financial equality across the UK. But it’s also about you –how you develop and what you can achieve. We’ll help your talent thrive in an environment where you’ll be supported to work flexibly and autonomously, sharing in our success and rewarded for a great performance with a generous benefits package.
- Department Info
From HR and Digital teams through to Group Finance, Risk and Corporate Comms – our Group function support our businesses across the UK and abroad. Delivering essential services and activities that have a real impact on our business and our customers lives, we enable our people to do what they do best, contributing to delivering a great customer service, profitability and strategic growth.
We are an equal opportunities employer and welcome applications from all suitably qualified persons regardless of their race, sex, disability, religion/belief, sexual orientation, gender identity or age.
- Job Duties
The role holder is responsible for corporation tax compliance and financial reporting obligations for all UK entities within the Group. This includes (but is not limited to) management of group relief and tax settlement processes, ensuring appropriate claims and elections are made, instructing tax payments, and managing the group-wide expense analysis processes. The role holder will work closely with other members of the tax team to achieve these objectives, including through supervising two junior tax managers.
The role holder will additionally provide support to the Head of Tax Operations and Chief Tax Officer on other business and compliance initiatives as required.
- With support from junior tax managers, responsibility for the completion of the corporation tax returns (using ONESOURCE software) plus submission of relevant claims and elections for all UK entities in the group, excluding the insurance entities and entities within the Legal & General Capital division.
- Support on the year-end and quarterly financial reporting for all UK entities, liaising closely with the local finance teams. Responsibility for the completion of the statutory entity tax disclosures for relevant UK companies.
- Responsibility for operating the Group Payment Arrangement, quarterly payment on account process and group relief settlement process.
- Resolution of technical compliance matters for UK entities, including technical analysis, drafting internal documentation and correspondence, and liaison with internal and external stakeholders including HMRC.
- Supervision of two junior tax managers on UK compliance and reporting matters.
- Support other members of the tax team with ad hoc queries, projects and transactions.
- Skills Required
Professional knowledge and qualifications
- Qualified Accountant with sufficient experience of financial accounting to maintain up-to-date professional knowledge.
- Member or fellow of the Chartered Institute of Taxation or with sufficient tax experience to maintain up-to-date professional knowledge.
Statutory and regulatory legislation
- Knowledge of UK Taxes Acts covering corporation tax, income tax, VAT, IPT, NIC and stamp duty to the extent that they apply to the companies in the group for which tax responsibility held.
- Previous experience of tax in the financial services sector would be an advantage
- Knowledge of the tax aspects of IFRS.
- Up to date working knowledge or prepared to acquire it of all proposed current financial developments and their potential impact, including International Accounting Standards.
- Understanding of the key concepts which drive regulation within our markets.
- Have an understanding of the general business and financial services environment and regulatory business requirements and its impact on Legal & General's strategy.
- Practical knowledge of each of the Group's businesses and how they interrelate with legal entities and divisions.
- Develops and maintains a working knowledge of the Group's policies and procedures including the Group’s risk management framework.
- Develops and maintains a commercial awareness of all businesses within the L&G Group.
- Ability to manage the production of both internal and external financial reporting documentation and announcements.
Systems and IT
- Sound working knowledge of Microsoft Office products including Excel, Word, Outlook and Powerpoint.
- Detailed application of the department’s specific tax software packages.
- Prepared to listen to others and work to understand their viewpoint.
- Ability to create and deliver clear and concise written or verbal reports.
- Open, actively seek to discuss issues and share information.
- Ability to adapt approach to suit audience.
- Assimilates complex information, identifies key issues, implications and consequences.
- Ability to review for trends, anticipate problems/omissions and consider potential ways to mitigate them.
- Prioritisation, planning and organisation of multi task/person assignments.
- Works with and provides guidance and support to other teams.
- Works to build contacts within the organisation.
- Practice effective delegation: clear explanations, establish capabilities, use as an opportunity to develop, monitor progress and provide constructive feedback.
- Proactively seeks solutions to problems.
- Ability to progress idea/solution by undertaking extra tasks proactively.
- Clarifies objectives, aims, timescales and required outcomes.
- Obtains appropriate factual data to assist in decision-making.
- Builds and develops strong relationships with staff, peers and other contacts within the business.
Whatever your role, we reward ability, performance and attitude with a package that looks after all the things that are important to you. Our employees have a wide range of benefits including a generous pension scheme, life assurance, 27 days' holiday, an annual supplement for private medical insurance, performance related bonuses, discounts at both a huge range of high street stores and our own great products, your hard work will be rewarded when you join us.
For further information about the role, please contact Lynn Morriss, UK Resourcing Lead, at email@example.com