- Role Type
- Closing Date
- Company Info
LGIM is the investment management arm of Legal & General Group, a FTSE 100 company. We are one of Europe’s largest asset managers and a major global investor, with assets under management of £983.3bn* (as at 31 December 2017). Our success has been built by focusing on clients and providing them with services and solutions that meet their needs. We offer strategies across the full spectrum of asset classes, including equities, bonds, property, alternatives and cash, as well as multi-asset strategies tailored to the needs of institutional and retail investors.
LGIM is one of the world’s leading providers of index fund management. We are at the forefront of developments in liability-driven risk management solutions for defined benefit pension schemes, a leading provider of defined contribution solutions and also offer wide range of strategies to help our clients manage their investment objectives. LGIM continues to innovate as markets evolve, building strong relationships with clients including pension scheme, sovereign wealth funds, wealth managers and other professional investors.
We understand that our scale brings responsibilities. We play an active role in the companies we invest in, from exercising shareholder voting rights to directly engaging with companies at a board level. By engaging with businesses, we aim to unlock value for investors and shape the future and sustainability of financial markets.
In addition to having a leading position in the UK, we have selectively expanded into new markets across Europe, the Middle East, Asia and the US. We believe that translating our capabilities to reflect the needs of our international clients will mean we are well placed to help them achieve their objectives.
*LGIM internal data as at 31 December 2017, including derivative positions and advisory assets. These figures include assets managed by LGIMA, an SEC Registered Investment Advisor.
- Department Info
LGIM manages fixed income, equity, multi-asset, liability-driven investment, property and alternative solutions on behalf of its clients. Located across the globe, our clients include institutional pension funds, financial institutions, local authorities and sovereign wealth funds. In order to meet the complex and evolving investment needs of our clients, we focus on remaining at the forefront of investment product innovation and maintaining our reputation as experts across all asset classes.
We are an equal opportunities employer and welcome applications from all suitably qualified candidates.
- Job Duties
You will work within the Funds and Prices programme and be the engineering lead for a number of cross functional Scrum teams for Retail and Personal Investing. You will also work alongside the Enterprise Application Integration (EAI) team within the Investment Management function, sharing common processes and tooling. The development will be leveraging microservices, Angular SPA and integrating with both internal and external platform partners. There are also some CI/CD tasks on the Redhat OpenShift platform and a small element of 3rd line support as required. You will be collaborating with product owners, scrum masters, practice heads and other stakeholders to ensure a consistent and high-quality engineering delivery capability.
- Lead, engage, motivate and develop all teams within this role’s remit to understand and maximise their full potential, ensuring high levels of engagement, professionalism and contribution to the business
- Provide technical design, review and standards for the development of Java microservices, Angular web front ends and Postgres databases
- Coach teams to consider potential weaknesses or breaks in all system interactions and to drive a culture of discussing and remediating such weaknesses as soon as they are detected
- Act as the Technical Lead, working with the Architect, to agree the design and develop the solution, providing development guidelines as appropriate
- Review and perform Unit Testing for all coding and then provide support to any Quality Assurance and User Acceptance Testing as deemed appropriate by the Team Lead
- Participate in architecture sessions to ensure consistency in how emerging designs/trade-offs are managed across the solutions, allowing frequent opportunities to steer implementation approaches without becoming a source of delays
- Ensure that technical (e.g. limited resources available, system timeouts) and business exceptions (e.g. missing data, invalid activity) are considered and have appropriate technical controls to validate and check the completeness of the business transaction
- Align technology approaches across feature teams by working actively with the teams to ensure that emergent design choices are made with an understanding of the overall solution, to minimise technology complexity and avoid unnecessary duplication of capabilities
- Participate in Pre- and Post-Programme Increment (PI) planning, working with the stakeholders to define the architectural approach, capability roadmap, and high-level objectives for the upcoming PI planning session. Help summarise findings into an agreed-to set of solution PI objectives and validate alignment of the various technical directions
- Provide 3rd Line Support the day-to-day running of all Enterprise Services during office hours
- Keep abreast of technological developments and new products.
- Skills Required
The ideal candidate will have a proven track record and a solid background in Enterprise Development, Web Development and have worked on a microservices environment like OpenShift. The candidate’s technical ability is as important as their communication within a delivery focused team. The candidate must be familiar with on-premise and cloud implementation patterns.
The candidate will need to be comfortable in ensuring a robust risk and compliance-aware culture is promoted at all times. The Lead Engineer will also need to make sure that all staff are fully aware of and comply with, all regulatory responsibilities. They will also have the communication skills to work with the delivery teams and in conjunction with key stakeholders, to actively strive for continual operational efficiency and effectiveness.
Having many of these skills will be useful.
Tools and skills
- BDD, Cucumber
- GIT, Subversion
- SQL, JDBC and Hibernate
- DevTools (Jenkins, Jira, Confluence, etc)
Exposure to and good understanding
- Investment/fund management or Institutional Banking
- Order Management Systems and Trading Systems
- Retail Pensions and Savings (ISA, SIPP, DC, etc)
Practical implementation of
- Integrating of 3rd Party products.
- Personable individual with excellent communication and influencing skills.
- Comfortable with dealing with all levels of IT and Business.
- Excellent analytical and written skills.
- Ability to identify opportunities for improvement and articulate them.
- Attention to detail as well as being able to see the bigger strategic picture.
Whatever your role, Legal & General rewards ability and attitude with a package that looks after things that matter to you.
Our employees have a wide range of benefits including:
- A generous pension scheme - 10% pension + 5% matching
- 12% car allowance
- Life assurance
- 30 holiday days
- Private medical insurance
- Performance related bonuses
- A variety of share schemes
- Discounts on high street and our own great products
Your hard work will be rewarded when you join us.